Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Choose to make an impact...

Since I have been thinking more about the choices I make, I have been a lot more conscious about how I feel right after I make a choice, and the impact on the world around me because of my choice.

Why did I just walk past that homeless man with the paper cup in his hand asking for money and not even acknowledge him? Am I that heartless?

Why didn’t I make it to the gym today? Am I seriously that lazy?

Why did I have that last Kamikaze shot? (Usually this is what I’m thinking the next morning when I wake up feeling like a semi has just driven through my forehead.)

One thing I realized is that even the smallest things I choose to do (or choose NOT to do) can have a huge impact on the world I live in. Letting someone go ahead of me through the door (“Ladies First” is a rule that should ALWAYS be enforced…), writing a letter to someone instead of sending an e-mail (Yes, there was a time when we didn’t have the internet, and you actually had to use pen and paper to send mail.), or just giving someone a hug (a 6-second hug allows for mood-boosting chemicals to be released in the brain, and has been proven to lower blood pressure.) There are countless simple acts of kindness that I can perform that can have a major impact on those around me.

Why not try it out? Do something today that brings some happiness/positive energy/love into someone else’s life. I bet you’ll feel pretty awesome afterward, and you might want to keep spreading even more Aloha in the world.

Choose to make an impact…

No comments: