Monday, August 16, 2010

Get Out Of Your Own Way...

OK, it’s been a few weeks since my last blog entry. And looking at the title of my last entry, this one may make me look a bit bi-polar, but just go along with me for a sec here…

In the journey of life, you learn something new about yourself everyday. And along this journey, I am sure you have found yourself saying, “Yes! I want to do that!” or “Yeah, I think I want to give that a try!” Maybe you’ve even said, “I know that if I did that, I would be so much happier.

Some of you, months later, are still saying the same thing.

My question to you is, ”What’s stopping you?”

If you want something so badly, why not make the move? Why not do something about it? What’s standing in your way of getting what you really want?

We can come up with a number of excuses of why we don’t make moves to make our dreams reality, or make changes we want to see in our lives. But the more important questions you should ask yourself are:

1) What is it that I truly want?
2) If I really want this, what is stopping me from taking that first step?
3) What do I need to do to get past whatever is stopping me so I can get moving?

Forget #2 and #3 for a second, and just look at the first question. Take a step back and think about it. What do you really want? What is going to make you feel truly fulfilled in your life? What do you value about that? And how are you honoring that value in your life right now?

The right answer is inside of you. You know yourself best and you know exactly what will make you happy. It’s saying it out loud that is the first step.

Questions #2 and #3 I will address in my blog entries in the coming weeks. For now, give yourself time to think about #1.

Nelson Mandela (well, Morgan Freeman in the movie “Invictus” anyway) quoted a poem that I found really profound:

I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.


You control your own life. You control your own destiny. You are in charge of how your life is going to turn out. So get out of your own way, and take the first step toward happiness and living your life the way you want to. You owe it to yourself, and I guarantee you will be happier in the long run.

No comments: